Shabby Blog

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Managing our Finances and our Needs...wants!!

Before Christmas I was sitting and talking with a client of mine, while her color was processing. We were just chatting about life and plans for the holidays. I asked her what she was getting her kids for Christmas and she said she was surprising her girls with room make-overs! I had told her I kinda wanted to do the same thing with Lainey, but since it was out of my budget and I had my Spending Diet quickly approaching, I would have to put it on the back burner till a used bed came our way. I eventually asked her if she had any plans for the girls old beds and she said no, that she'd like to see someone be blessed with them rather than throwing them away...So she offered us a bed!! Lainey and I were given a twin bed shortly after Christmas and I was so excited to get Lainey out of my bed!

Then I had to decide if having a Bed Frame was a need or a want...Well Lainey has a bed to sleep on and beds do not require a frame in order for a mattress to be functional...Even though raising her bed off the floor would allow for storage space, I had to categorize the bed frame as a "WANT"...which definitely meant I was NOT buying a bed frame new!! So I posted my ISO(in search of) all over various groups on Facebook to see if anyone was getting rid of one. It wasn't long after I posted the ISO, that my friend Hollie messaged me to let me know she had a fairly new twin bed with a frame for sale, for $40, but it was a package deal. I knew if I wanted this bed frame, I would be getting the mattress too, I'd have to sell something to fund the new bed and get rid of the other bed.

I pondered selling the bed we had just gotten but wasn't even sure anyone would want it. I did some research on bed frames and found that metal frames can be bought new for $40. I had now come to a few conclusions...Hollie's 3 piece twin set was $40, I could just spend $40 and just buy a frame, I could sell the used bed, I could just scratch the whole thing and let Lainey sleep in my bed(NO!!)....grrrr it was all beginning to seem like a huge hassle and lots of moving around furniture.

I finally decided to try selling the mattress we were given on Facebook, but I had a feeling I'd probably only get about $30 for it. I knew I wanted to try not to spend any money on Hollie's bed at all, so on a limb I asked if she would consider taking $30 for her set and she said yes...So it was on...I posted the used bed on Facebook and in less than 2 days, it left our home for $30. Just enough to fund the newer bed and BED FRAME!! I felt a little bad for selling the bed we were given just a couple of weeks ago, but I saw a benefit to having a newer bed over the 4-5year old bed we inherited. The bed we were given still blessed us even though we don't have it anymore. Lainey's new bed will last longer and now she has a new hiding place and storage space!

I have come to another conclusion, If I manage our finances and our resources in a smart way, God finds ways to bless and rewards us. Thanking God for providing us with Friends and resources to fund the things we need and even the things we want!!

P.S. I also sold other miscellaneous things around our home to fund Lainey's bed skirt, and bed risers. Some things are hard to come by used in a timely fashion, but I spent less than what I profited from! Still a win!!

No comments:

Post a Comment